PERSUASIVE PRESENTING BLOG
Your Business Presentation- Do You Ever Self Sabotage Like This?Posted on Mar 01
If you are getting exactly the results you want whenever you give a presentation then you might not want to bother reading on……
But if you don’t get the results you want then maybe there are times when you self sabotage and you don’t know it.
What do I mean by self sabotage? Well it’s when your words say one thing but your gestures, body language, tonality, breathing etc. all convey something different to your audience.
You’ve probably heard me say it before but all of your communication and all of your behaviours depend upon your state. So if you are nervous, uncomfortable, uncertain, anxious, apprehensive, then although you consciously aim to show confidence, unconsciously you will give yourself way – in other words you will self sabotage.
And you will be probably be totally unaware that you are doing it but it will come across to your audience and it can be a huge distraction.
Here are some of the most common ways you can give yourself away…….
- Not smiling at your audience when you start to speak.
- Jangling something in your pocket
- Looking down at your notes instead of looking at the audience.
- Crossing your arms in front of your body.
- Standing with your feet crossed
- Walking backwards and forwards across the space.
- Turning to face the screen when you’re using PowerPoint
- Constantly clicking a pen
- Standing behind a lectern and grabbing hold of it
- Speaking too quickly
- Standing with your shoulders hunched
- Waving your hands about unnecessarily
The first step to getting rid of these mannerisms is to become aware of which you are susceptible to and the easiest way to do this is to get someone you trust to give you feedback or video yourself when you present.
And when you learn to manage your own state effectively then these will disappear.
You will be more resourceful and better able to influence and persuade your audience which makes for a winning presentation every time.
Until next time,
With best wishes for your success,
Cath Daley Ltd.
p.s. Find out how you can learn some of the most powerful tools and techniques for managing your own state at : http://bit.ly/z6q6ch
What's the Number 1 Success Killer for any presentation?Find out how you can avoid it...
and get your free download of the unique 7-Part Winning Presentations Mini-course nowDOWNLOAD NOW
- All articles
- Business Presentations
- Communication skills
- Presentation Skills
- Business Pitching
- Social Media
- Business Networking
- Time management
- Public Speaking
- Leadership Development
- Women Leaders
SEARCH BY TAG
SUBSCRIBE TO FEEDS
- The BEM Principle- Ignore it at Your Peril!
- The 6 Ways You Communicate Your Executive Presence – or Don’t!
- You Will Continue to Get What You Don’t Want in 2015 Unless You Make This Change….
- Why Making New Year’s Resolutions is a Waste of Your Time
- 3 Steps to a Stressless Christmas