PERSUASIVE PRESENTING BLOG
Wonderful News – Most Business Presentations Fail!Posted on Aug 16
It might be to a client or prospective client, at a networking event, pitching to a procurement panel when bidding for a contract, or even to your boss for a pay rise or promotion ……
And did you know that most business presentations fail?
It is common to have a success rate of only 25% which is a failure rate of 75% and in some sectors it’ s even higher!
and usually for very good reasons.
They fail because the speaker/presenter……
- is convinced that a lousy presentation is brilliant
- doesn’t understand the audience
- is the wrong person to be doing it
- doesn’t know how to connect and engage with the audience
- lets their nerves get the better of them
- doesn’t adapt the presentation to the specific audience but uses a generic one
- gives off mixed messages- says one thing but unconsciously conveys something different
- only thinks about what they are saying and not about how they are saying it
- ignores (or is ignorant of) the need to address different processing preferences when presenting
- follows some prescribed way of delivering a presentation that has nothing to do with effective communication but is just the accepted way of doing it
- thinks that it’s only about giving information
- thinks that everything comes down to price
and there are lots more……
Unsuccessful presenters often make excuses like
“we were never going to win- it was already sewn up”
” we can’t compete with such a low price”
” they didn’t like me”
” they had already made up their minds beforehand”
” they just weren’t interested”
and often blame it on bad luck on the day.
But the key to this is that they don’t understand what actually caused the failure.
So how can this amount to good news?
Simple – it opens up huge opportunities. Because so many are poor it’s really easy to be better!
Since most presenters/speakers/bid teams don’t learn from their successes and failures ( let alone those of their predecessors) anyone who is willing and eager to learn the secrets of successful and effective communication can enjoy a huge advantage.
When you learn the tools and techniques of the Winning Business Presentations approach and become a persuasive and compelling communicator you set yourself way above your competition with the result that you hughely increase your success rate.
Imagine what a difference it would make to your business if your business presentation success rate was 100%? and that’s entirely possible when you become adept at using the appropriate tools and techniques.
And everyone can learn to do it – if you want to.
Until next time,with best wishes for your success,
p.s. You can get the Presentation Tip of the Week delivered straight to your inbox by entering your details in the box at the top right of this page.
p.p.s. If you want to come along and learn some of the techniques whilst having lots of fun then there are a few places left on this workshop.
What's the Number 1 Success Killer for any presentation?Find out how you can avoid it...
and get your free download of the unique 7-Part Winning Presentations Mini-course nowDOWNLOAD NOW
- All articles
- Business Presentations
- Communication skills
- Presentation Skills
- Business Pitching
- Social Media
- Business Networking
- Time management
- Public Speaking
- Leadership Development
- Women Leaders
SEARCH BY TAG
SUBSCRIBE TO FEEDS
- The BEM Principle- Ignore it at Your Peril!
- The 6 Ways You Communicate Your Executive Presence – or Don’t!
- You Will Continue to Get What You Don’t Want in 2015 Unless You Make This Change….
- Why Making New Year’s Resolutions is a Waste of Your Time
- 3 Steps to a Stressless Christmas